Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Laura and Don's Wedding Program Chalkboard


I’ve been working for almost nine years consulting on and designing custom wedding stationery suites.  Whether regarding invitations, place cards, or thank you notes, helping couples develop printed pieces that speak to them and their unique celebration is something I thoroughly enjoy. So I was so excited when I received a call about lettering a wedding program on a chalkboard.

Laura and Don were looking for a board that would list their parents’ names, along with those of the wedding party and other key ceremony players. The bride’s dad created a large, poster-sized board that would sit on an easel during their outdoor ceremony, and then transition indoors to stand outside the reception hall.

While developing a design, I asked to take a peek at Laura and Don’s wedding invitation.  Their fun, modern invitation included a chunky block lettering style, with their names popping in a fun, curved script design. I decided to give a nod to that element, as well as a floral sprig/branch graphic.  This would keep the feel of things consistent and also complement their charming outdoor venue.


This wedding party was somewhat unusual in that there were many more groomsmen than bridemaids, which would not lend itself very well to a symmetrical layout. I decided to balance it out by carving out a separate space for the flower girl within the list of bridesmaids.


They sent me this beautiful picture of the board displayed at the ceremony. Best wishes to the happy couple!