Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Inspiration Post: Cozumel #tbt

Okay, so I'm a little late with the post this week - so I've decided to make it a joint Inspiration Post AND Throwback Thursday post.

Back in April, my boyfriend, Dan, and I went on vacation in Mexico.  We spent a few days in Playa del Carmen at a friend's wedding, before hopping across the Caribbean Sea to a tiny island called Cozumel.  

Photo Credit: Google Maps

It's a beautiful little island, known mostly for the spectacular snorkeling and scuba diving opportunities - as the waters are clear and the coral reefs and wildlife are really remarkable.




We did our fair share of snorkeling and chillin' out maxin', relaxin' all cool by the pool, but our favorite part of the trip was our morning journeys into town.  Once one wanders beyond the coastal roads, lined with tourist shops and all-inclusive resorts, a hip little world of hostels and scuba divers opens up.  We spent every morning at a tiny little coffee shop which felt very much to us like the Mexico version of Java Love - filled with regulars or transient scuba enthusiasts (we were the only ones wearing resort wristbands, I'll tell you that much.)

Once we were sufficiently caffeinated, we would spend a couple of hours walking around the town. This was always my favorite part of the day, and you'll soon see why...

Every.


Sign.



In Cozumel.



Is hand-painted.


There are barely words to describe how excited I was about this. Dan was such a good sport, waiting patiently every half block as I looked like this:


The craftsmanship was really remarkable.  I particularly loved seeing some of the signage painted on eye-level walls, as the rules and pencil sketches were often still visible - plus it was cool to see the brushwork up close.  Those casuals!!


The painted letters really added an element of artistry and simplicity to the overall ambience of the town.  Everything from advertisements to business entrances were beautiful and original.

Everything from advertisements...
...to business entrances.
So basically my life plan is now to paint letters in paradise permanently some day.  If you ever have the opportunity to visit Cozumel, I suggest you take it.  Before we left we were already planning our trip back.  Life is beautiful, quiet, and simple here.

And when you go, eat here - a restaurant called La Choza. Trust me.